An apple a day keeps the doctor away, so why not enjoy a slice of this satisfying pie. An abundance of granny smith apples, slice thin in a thick juicy sauce and a light flaky crust.
· 6 cups green apples, peeled, cored & sliced (about 6 medium apples)
· 1 box refrigerated 9” pie crust (2 per box)
· 1 stick unsalted butter
· 3 tablespoons flour
· ½ cup white sugar
· ½ cup brown sugar
· ¼ cup water
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· ½ teaspoon nutmeg
· ½ teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees and place (1) pie crust in your 9” pie pan.
2. In a medium saucepan, add butter and let melt, and then add flour to butter to form a roux / paste. Once the roux has from then add water, white sugar and brown sugar. Blend well and bring to boil, then reduce heat and let sauce simmer.
3. While sauce is simmering, place sliced apples in a mixing bowl and add lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
4. Place mixed apples into pie crust and then pour sauce over apples and place second pie crust on top and press edges together to seal the pie. Then cut slits or shapes in top crust.
5. Bake pie for about 45 – 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for about 1 or 2 hours. Then serve apple pie with your favorite ice cream or cream whipped topping.