|Servings: 4 Prep time 15 Cook Time : None|
Fragrant, fresh, and full of flavor – here’s a salad that’s high on health and great taste! Served in a wonderful baked tortilla shell bowl; the result not only looks good but has such an array of fresh ingredients and it’s sure to please everyone. This salad is also a powerhouse of vitamins and fiber, which play important roles in keeping your heart strong. Enjoy!!
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen (thawed and drained)
- 1 can 14.5 oz. black beans – low sodium (rinsed and drained)
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ red pepper (diced)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded & diced)
- 1 medium tomato (seeded & pulp removed, diced)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice ( about 1 lime)
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar (seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Fajita seasonings
- 2 cups of shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 baked tortilla shells for serving
In a large bowl, add corn, black beans, onions, garlic, peppers, tomato, cilantro, lime juice and vinegar. Combine well, and then add cumin, fajita seasoning, lime zest, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for about 10 minutes before serving. Bake tortilla shells according to the directions on the mini tortilla shell molds. Or you may serve in regular bowls.
Layer salad as follows – put a serving of shredded lettuce in your tortilla bowl and then a serving of corn and black bean salad. Serve with your favorite grill chicken, steak or fish.