Cooking from the Pantry - Creamy Bay Scallop Chowder. I love making soups and chowders, fall season will be here soon and it will be time pull the soup and chowder recipes that will warm your soul with wonderful flavors.
|Servings : 8 Prep Time: 10 Cooking Time: 20 Total time: 30 Minutes|
Star of the Show
- 1 1/2 pounds Bay Scallops
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth ( divided )
- 1 10 oz can Campbell's Condensed Cream of Shrimp Soup
- 1/4 cup Fairbanks Dry Sherry or Cooking Sherry
- 2 tbsp corned starch
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Milk
- 4 oz Cream Cheese 1/3 less fat (soften)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup bell peppers - ( red, yellow and green) diced
- 1/2 white onion (diced)
- 2 medium baking potatoes ( diced in small cubes)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Garnish - diced scallions, red & green chili peppers (sliced)
- 1 large sauté pan
- 3 - 5 quart soup pot
- cooking spoons and measuring utensils
- Large Soup Tureen and small soup bowls
In large sauté pan, medium high, add olive oil and unsalted butter. Then add onions and garlic, sauté until tender. Add bay scallops and sauté until translucent (about 2 - 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
In 3 - 5 quart soup pot , medium high ( in this order) add 1 3/4 cup chicken broth ( hold back 1/4 cup of broth to combine with corned starch). Then add diced potatoes and let cooked for about 3 - 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender (do not over cook). Now add milk, cream of shrimp soup, and cream cheese. Blend well, be careful not to breakup or mash potatoes. Let simmer for another 2 - 3 minutes.
Add sherry, old bay seasoning and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add scallops with garlic and onions to chowder base. Check for thickness at this time. Combine corned starch and 1/4 cup of chicken broth to make a slurry , then pour slurry into chowder. Now add diced bell peppers and fresh chopped parsley and let chowder simmer for about another 5 to 8 minutes.
Serve chowder in soup tureen and garnish with slice chili peppers and scallops. Serve with crackers or fresh French bread. Enjoy