|My Portion Control Chart|
My Diabetic Plate - Meal Planning & Portion Control
Good nutrition is one of the most basic and important diabetes care tools. Eating right can help control blood sugar and good control helps protect our long-term health.
Whether you are following a calorie-level meal plan, counting carbohydrates, using exchanges or just trying to improve the overall nutritional value of your current eating patterns, planning your meals is a great tool.
Healthy eating habits include:
· Balancing your food intake and activity level, so that you eat as much as you need but not more than you need.
· Eating smaller meals regularly has helped me. I eat 6 six small meals a day. That may sound like a lot but it's not; breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus 3 snacks to help between meals.
I really do not have any food restrictions, what I do is control my portions. I eat on a 6" or 8" plate and watch my carbs. I did some research on "The Glycemic Index" and some reading on "Refined Carbohydrates" and "Unrefined Carbohydrates". Eating smart and healthy does not mean avoiding carbohydrates; as some people would lead you to believe that carbohydrates are evil for diabetics. The fact is, we need them as a part of our balance meal plan. I read that carbohydrates are one of the three basic macro-nutrients needed to sustain life, ( the other two are protein and fat). But eating to many carbs especially refined carbs can cause blood sugars to be out of control.
Examples of Refined and Unrefined Carbohydrates
- Table Sugar
- Soft Drinks
- Maple Syrup
- Sweetened Yogurts
- Any ingredient ending in "-ose," such as dextrose
- Any ingredient ending in "-ol," such as sorbitol
- Peas, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Fruit, Milk, Plain Yogurt
- Whole grains - cereals, bread and pasta
Unrefined carbs are usually more healthy because they include two kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble.
To read more about "The Glycemic Index", http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html?keymatch=glycemic-index