Healthy Heart Roasted Beets
Coming up in the White Household, my mother would make pickled beets in the summer time. She would boil the beets whole then once cool, peel and sliced them. Then she would add slice onions, sugar, salt, and vinegar to them and let them chill. I love eating her beets in the summer, but how can I enjoy this wonderful vegetable in the winter time without the added sugar? Smarter cooking techniques such as roasting will deliver caramelize flavor and let the natural flavor of the roasted beets elevate the taste. Elegant enough for company and easy enough for everyday.
- 6 medium beets, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup scallions (green onions sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine beets with olive oil, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Arrange beets in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine beets with parsley, scallions and lemon juice. Toss gently to blend. Serve warm or chilled.