How do you spell satisfaction?
With a simmering pot of Turkey Stew!!
What a wonderful way to use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. This Turkey Dumpling Stew is loaded with flavor and jazzed up with star dumplings. Big-bowl meals are the rage now, but the idea dates back to my Grandma’s kitchen. It’s easy to see why robust one-dish recipes have withstood the test of time.
Prep Time: 15
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Tools: Stock Pot and Star Cookie Cutter
- 2 cups Bisquick Mix
- 2/3 cup Milk
- Leftover Turkey Parts ( including the bones)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped celery
- 1 cup carrots sliced thin
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh chopped parsley and chives for garnish
Easy to Use
add water to rehydrate
1 tsp. = 1 tsp of fresh
Directions for Turkey Stew
- In a large stock pot, place leftover turkey breast, drumsticks, and wings including the bones. Add water to cover the turkey and add onions, garlic, butter, sage thyme, salt, pepper, celery. Cover and then bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the broth is flavored with all the essences of the turkey and seasonings.
- Transfer turkey to a plate. Strain broth through a strainer over a large bowl. Discard bones, onions, garlic, and then return the broth to stock pot and add turkey back in.
- Add sliced carrots and frozen peas to stew and simmer uncovered for about five minutes.
- Raise the heat on the stew just a little and follow directions for dumplings.
Directions for Dumplings
- Combine Bisquick mix and milk together until soft and dough forms.
- Then flour your board and scrape dough on board and flour your hands. Knead dough by hand until smooth. Pat dough flat about ¼ inch and use your star cookie cutter or any type shape you have to cut out your dumpling shapes.
- Drop dumplings into stew and reduce heat. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes, and then cover stew and let simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Garnish stew with fresh parsley, chives, and serve warm slice of French bread.