- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 additional egg for egg wash.
- In a bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Beat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour and salt.
- Then add shortening and cut into the flour mix with a pastry blender or a fork.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and mix in wet ingredients, blend well with a fork until dough becomes stiff.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
Empanada Filing ( prep 10 minutes and cook time 10 minutes.)
- 4 Turkey Italian Spicy sausage links, remove from casing
- 1/2 onion dice,
- 1 cup diced, red, yellow and orange mini bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chop basil
- 1 cup shredded Italian six cheese mix
- While dough is chilling, in a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil, onions, peppers , garlic. Saute for 2 minutes then add Italian sausage and cook for about 5 - 7 minutes or until sausage is done.
- Then remove sausage mixture from skillet, drain and place in a bowl.
Fill empanada dough with about a teaspoon of turkey meat mixture and add a little cheese.