My Diabetic Plate
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time : 55 minutes
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 Cup diced onions
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Fresh black eyed peas, or frozen, defrosted and drained
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1/4 Cup chopped scallions for garnish
- In a 3 - 5 quart Dutch oven, over medium heat; add olive oil, garlic and onions. Sauté until translucent. Then add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add black-eyed peas, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. ( Add a little water if necessary. Then add red pepper flakes and let simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place beans in a serving dish and add chopped scallions for garnish. Serve over steamed white or brown rice.