Grits, eggs with bacon or sausage was a Sunday morning favorite when I was growing up. Grits known for its mark on Southern Cuisine is not just for breakfast anymore, it is now served for lunch and dinner with shrimp, or lobster. So the next time you want to impress your Sunday Brunch guest, try my recipe for Grits and Eggs. Just the right portion full of creamy cream cheese and topped with egg, crispy bacon and a little onion flavor from chopped chives. Enjoy
- 3/4 cup Quick - 5 minute Grits
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese 1/3 Less Fat
- 1/4 cup Fat Free Milk
- 2 Slices Bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp of Chopped Chives
- 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 4 ramekins with butter flavored or regular cooking spray.
- Cook Grits according to package directions for about 5 minutes until nice and creamy. Then add butter, cream cheese, and milk stir until blended well. Let simmer for about 1- 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Microwave on high, bacon for 2 - 3 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove and let drain on paper towel than chop into small pieces, and then set aside.
- Place grits in prepared ramekins, filling each ramekin about half. Then crack one egg over each ramekin filled with grits. Be careful not to break the yolks, season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with chives, cover with aluminum foil, place ramekins on baking sheet, place in oven and let bake for about 15 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolk is firm.
- Remove from oven and top each dish with Triple Cheddar cheese and chop bacon. Serve with toast, or toasted English Muffins.