My Collard greens have a new attitude, creamy, and a boldness of flavor. The special ingredient is Coconut Milk. I come from a long line of wonderful cooks in my family, and if some of them were around today to taste this recipe, they would say “Carol Anne” girl dish me up another serving of those greens.
Servings 4 – prep time 15 – cook time - 15 minutes
· 2 Bunches collard greens, stems removed, and cut into ½” strips
· 1 small white onion, diced
· 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
· ¾ cup coconut milk
· ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add collard greens and blanched them for about 2 minutes; remove, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and sauté for about 2 – 3 minutes or until translucent. Then add drained collard greens, coconut milk, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let greens simmer for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Remove greens and place in serving dish, then add lemon juice and serve with your favorite protein and starch if you desire. I served my Coconut Collards with fresh roasted beets.
Note: If you love a little heat try some red pepper flakes right before serving, you will love that kick.